This article is a streaming guide for the week of 12/4 – 12/10. Week 8 of the NBA season.
Week 7 of the NBA season had to be one of the toughest weeks of the season so far. Not only did we have a number of injuries, but a lot of players underperformed. Let’s take a look at the list of players that have been injured in the past week or so: Anthony Davis, Kristaps Porzingis, Blake Griffin, Nikola Jokic, John Wall, Hassan Whiteside, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague, DeWayne Dedmon, John Collins, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, and Allen Crabbe (this is not even counting the players that were already injured). It seems like all the cool players are getting hurt these days. Just as our friend Caris “Lil Uzi” LeVert would say, “Push me to the edge, all my players are dead.” On a more serious note, most of these injured players are sure to leave huge holes on your fantasy teams. However, this could lead to huge opportunities for young players to emerge and for usual streamer suspects to flex their ROS value, especially due to the jam packed week of NBA action we’ll have this week. This week there are 19 teams on a four-game week, up from 11 teams the past two weeks. The stream gods are smiling down upon us! Without further ado we will move on to this week’s streaming strategies.
Let’s take a look at this week’s schedule:
|# Games Played||11||3||10||4||8||10||6|
|Golden State Warriors||3||@NOP||@CHA||@DET|
|Los Angeles Clippers||2||MIN||WAS|
|Los Angeles Lakers||2||@PHI||@CHA|
|New Orleans Pelicans||4||GSW||DEN||SAC||PHI|
|New York Knicks||4||@IND||MEM||@CHI||ATL|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||3||UTA||@BKN||@MEM|
|Portland Trail Blazers||2||WAS||HOU|
|San Antonio Spurs||4||DET||MIA||BOS||@PHO|
Considering this week’s schedule, here are some important things to note, as well as some streaming strategies to consider:
- There are four good streaming days this week (good streaming days are when there are eight or less games being played on a given day, meaning your streamed players would probably fit in your lineup. If there are more than eight games on a certain day, then it is a bad streaming day and your streamed player most likely won’t fit in your lineup). The good streaming days this week are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.
- The Hawks and Hornets are back to playing four games this week, and the Raptors are playing three. Since all three teams only played two games last week, some owners may have gotten impatient with some of the better players, such as: Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Marco Bellineli,, Frank Kaminsky, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Jonas Valanciunas, and Norman Powell. Scoop these players up if they’re on the wire. They could provide a huge boost for your team this week.
- This week, the Rockets, Clippers, Lakers, and Heat have two games. Therefore, you may want to drop a player from one of these teams in order to get more Stats4urCats (do NOT drop one of these players if you think they are worth keeping through the two game week). Droppable players:
- Rockets- Eric Gordon (6-8 teamers), PJ Tucker, Luc Mbah a Moute.
- Clippers- They have four of their best players hurt right now, so until we see how the rotation shakes out it’s hard to tell. They have undroppables – DeAndre Jordan, Lou Williams, Austin Rivers, and arguably Wesley Johnson. Blake Griffin and Gallinari are IR candidates, Beverly you can obviously drop, and Tedosic is interesting to keep an eye on because he is supposed to come back December 9th.
- Lakers- I’m gonna say it: Brook Lopez.
- Heat- Justise Winslow, Tyler Johnson, Josh Richardson, and Wayne “Duke” Ellington.
- Rockets- Eric Gordon (6-8 teamers), PJ Tucker, Luc Mbah a Moute.
- Teams that don’t start playing until later in the week (this is important to note because you may be able to get a start out of one of your players, then replace them with a player that starts later in the week):
- All four-game weeks unfortunately start on Monday this week.
- The 76ers are the only team with a four-game week that have a three game stretch starting on Thursday. The Kings have a three-game stretch that starts on Wednesday.
- Teams with a significant number of Home and Away games this week:
- Teams with all home games this week include the Hornets, Pacers, Clippers, Pelicans, and Trail Blazers. Additionally, the Grizzlies, Bucks, and Spurs have three out of four games at home this week.
- Teams with all away games this week include the Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Lakers, Heat, and Wizards. Additionally, the Mavericks have three out of four games away this week.
- Promising strategy of the week: This week there is a strategy that can be used to get six starts out of one roster spot. This can be done using three steps:
- Use a player from the Suns, Jazz, or Wizards. They have back-to-back games on Monday and Tuesday.
- Use a player from the Hornets, Bulls, Cavs, Grizzlies, Bucks, Magic, or Spurs. They all have three game stretches from Wednesday through Saturday (if you have a limited number of matchup acquisitions, and wish to utilize your pick-ups in other ways. You can still get five starts out of a roster spot by skipping the third step).
- Lastly, use a player with a game on Sunday. The teams with games on Sunday are: the Hawks, Celtics, Mavericks, Nuggets, Pistons, Pacers, Timberwolves, Pelicans, Knicks, 76ers, Kings, or Raptors. The teams in bold are teams that have a game on Monday, 12/11, and if a player is chosen from one of those teams then you can potentially use them for the first step of next week’s “Promising Strategy of the Week.” If done correctly, you would get six games of production out of one roster spot. Theoretically, you can do this same method with multiple roster spots if the players are available and/or you don’t have limited matchup acquisitions.
Players to Stream
Below are some players to stream from the teams that either have four-game weeks or that I mentioned in the Streaming Strategies section
I am specifically focusing on players available in about 50% of leagues [All of my data is coming from Yahoo. Therefore, it may be slightly different in ESPN or other formats]. I added a decent amount of players who are under five percent owned for those of you in deeper leagues.
- Ersan Ilyasova (SF,PF)
- Marco Belinelli (SG,SF)
- Luke Babbitt (SF)
- DeAndre Bembry (SF)- Deep leagues
- Marcus Morris (SF,PF)
- Terry Rozier (PG,SG)
- Aron “Beantown Banger” Baynes (C)- Deep leagues
- Marvin Williams (SF,PF)
- Frank Kaminsky (PF,C)
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (SF)
- Cody Zeller (PF,C)
- Michael Carter-Williams (PG)- Deep leagues. 10+ team league if Kemba is out.
- Kris “Jenner” Dunn (PG,SG)
- Justin Holiday (SG,SF)
- Denzel Valentine (SG,SF)
- Bobby Portis (PF,C)
- Nikola Mirotic (SF,PF)- if he returns from injury
- Jerian Grant (PG,SG)
- Jae Crowder (SF,PF)
- Kyle Korver (SG,SF)
- JR Smith (SG,SF)
- Jeff Green (SF,PF)
- J.J. Barea (PG,SG)
- Dwight Powell (PF,C)
- Yogi Ferrell (PG,SG)
- Devin Harris (PG,SG)- Deep leagues
- Maxi Kleber (PF)- Deep leagues
- Kenneth “Manimal” Faried (PF,C)- Getting a huge role now due to the Millsap & Jokic injuries. Has an interesting ROS outlook
- Wilson Chandler (SG,SF,PF)- If playing
- Mason Plumlee (PF,C)- Should be starting in place of Nikola Jokic
- Emmanuel Mudiay (PG)
- Juancho Hernangomez (SF,PF)
- Trey Lyles (PF)
- Ish Smith (PG)
- Stanley Johnson (SG,SF)
- Luke Kennard (SG)- Deep league add
- Anthony Tolliver (SF,PF)- Deep league ad
- Bojan Bogdanovic (SG,SF)
- Lance Stephenson (SG,SF)
- Cory Joseph (PG)- Deep league add
- JaMychal Green (PF,C)
- Mario Chalmers (PG,SG)- Starting in place of Conley
- Ben McLemore (SG)
- Chandler Parsons (SF,PF)- Decent mid-week add since he’s missing a pair of games
- Dillon Brooks (SG,SF)- Deep league add
- John Henson (PF,C)
- Jason Terry (PG,SG)- Deep league add (Kidd says he will begin giving Terry more minutes)
- Tony Snell (SG,SF)- Deep league add
New Orleans Pelicans
- E’Twaun Moore (PG,SG,SF)
- Darius Miller (SG,SF)- High volume 3pt shooter
- Jameer Nelson (PG)- Decent assists
New York Knicks
- Courtney Lee (SG,SF)
- Kyle O’Quinn (PF,C)- Should be starting in place of Porzingis
- Jarret Jack (PG,SG)- Will get you assists
- Frank Ntilikina (PG)- If not injured
- Doug McDermott (SF)- Deep league add
- Michael Beasley (SF,PF)- Deep league add
- Jonathon Simmons (SG,SF)- Was put into a starting role
- Bismack Biyombo (PF,C)- Good source of blocks
- DJ Augustin (PG)
- TJ McConnell (PG)
- Jerryd Bayless (PG,SG)
- Amir Johnson (PF,C)- Deep league add
- Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot (SG,SF)- Deep league add
- Greg Monroe (PF,C)
- Tyson Chandler (C)
- Alex Len (PF,C)- Will have more potential if Monroe or Chandler leave
- Tyler Ulis (PG)
- Mike “Jones” James (PG)
- Marquese Chriss (PF,C)
- Josh Jackson (SG,SF)- Deep league add
- Dragan Bender (PF)- Deep league add
San Antonio Spurs
- Kyle Anderson (SG,SF)
- Tony Parker (PG)
- Danny Green (SG,SF)
- Patty Mills (PG)
- Dejounte Murray (PG)- Lost most of his minutes due to Parkers return
- Manu Ginobli (SG,SF)
- Alec Burks (PG,SG)
- Jonas Jerebko (SF,PF)
- Thabo Sefolosha (SG,SF)
- Markieff Morris (SF,PF)
- Kelly Oubre Jr. (SF)
- Tomas Satoransky (PG,SG)- Benefiting from the John Wall injury
- Tim Frazier (PG,SG)
For those of you who may have missed my article the past couple of weeks, here is an explanation of my streaming philosophy:
Keeping up with the NBA schedule each week is important because it can possibly give you an edge over your matchup. If done correctly, you could get 5-6 games out a roster spot, instead of 2-4 on any given week. More Games = More Stats4urCats™. Therefore, when scouring the wire for players you should pick up, it is important to consider how many games they are playing that week and what days those games are on. This post not only highlights and analyzes this week’s schedule, but also various streaming strategies depending on playing schedules, as well as some players to consider streaming this week. This method is especially helpful for leagues with matchup acquisition limits (i.e. a league that has three waiver wire pickups allowed per matchup).
See you next week!
Unless otherwise cited, all stats are courtesy of NBA.com and current leading into games on Nov. 19.